Tuesday, December 18, 2007

New Dreams

So I began a short writing piece nearly ten years ago...before I lived in Indiana (the 2nd time around, that is), before I was a mom, before I met George. And for whatever reason, the piece has come back into my head and been floating around. There's a desire to pick it back up, and yet at the same time, I'm not sure which direction I want the piece to take. And when nothing comes after thinking and thinking, I wonder "why do this again? I haven't thought much about it in years." The answer is: I'm drawn to it. For some reason, the ideas arrived, have been there floating about, coming and going, for years. And now I feel compelled to work on it again. The funny thing is that part of it revolves around a cabin and I now have it in my head that someday when we're retired (and won't want to do this anymore! haha) I want to find a little 3 room cabin that is modern enough to be warm and rustic enough to have to do some work and get my hands a bit dirty. Something that makes me feel like Laura Ingalls for a weekend. Of course, I'll be in my 70's I figure when this will come about, which will make George closer to 80, but for whatever reason, this Dream has entertained my mind quite a bit as of late. I keep 'creating' the cabin in my mind. Creating its location (don't want to be too far from grandkids and town, and yet in the woods enough to be Laura Ingalls, of course!). Creating the interior (logs and a simple kitchen). Creating paths in the woods (via George) so that we can take walks, I can take pictures, and write.

George and I went to listen to Matthew Kelly a few weeks ago. He spoke about the importance of dreaming. You know-- the dreams I've had for myself/my life, as of September '06, have come true. I am at a Contentment Phase. And I really haven't had any new dreams to replace the old. So Matthew Kelly got me thinking again and, I must say, whether they come true or not doesn't feel so important as the excitement I feel in thinking about them; creating the possibility. And so, those of you who are able to view this, what dreams do you have that you still wish for, OR do you have new dreams that are crossing your mind? Please share!

1 comment:

Monkey Giggles said...

My dream has been to have cottage on the beach. But because we are not independently wealthy the dream has changed over the years. I am dreaming of a cottage camper. I am thinking about hauling in yards of beach sand and making my dreams come true,