Monday, January 28, 2008
Cozy Corners
A friend of mine recently asked (on her blog) for others to write about their "cozy corner." Her blog included a photo of a cute little corner with a chair, a reading lamp, and a little table. It made me think. My mind first went to the chair I often sit in. But it isn't a cozy spot, just a comfortable chair where I can rock the baby to sleep with his ba, and I can curl my legs under me and lean on the arm. But the lighting is poor and being there doesn't do much for inspiration. Which led me to my next thought: The basement. This would not, however, qualify for a cozy corner. It's just an unfinished basement which an old throw rug. But it is surrounded my books, and it is surrounded by quiet. I like to pull out books and leaf through them as I sit on the old carpet. There are children's books, novels, writing of my own, yearbooks, scrapbooks, middle school level stories, teaching manuels, workbooks, file cards with teaching ideas collected over the years, memoirs, biographies, non-fiction...It's wonerful! I also have a room upstairs with a desk that was my grandmother's and some book shelves where I have some of my favorites. The ones that I read over and over again or refer to more often than the ones in the basement. It's also a wonderful place to be and it is quiet also. It just doesn't have as many books. What it does have instead is stickers and markers and stationery. Tape and staplers and sticky notes. And photographs. Lots and lots of photographs. And so whether it's upstairs in my little 'office space' (for lack of a better word), or down in the basement, these two places are where I can be surrounded by my 'stuff', and where I am protective of intrusion. Here there is order because no one goes to these places but me. Here I am surrounded by things that make me me good and often create inspiration. And so I ask you and she asked those of us who read her blogs: Where is your cozy space?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment